Saturday, January 12, 2008

Bedroom Makeover

A few posts ago I mentioned that we're working on the "adultification" of our bedroom. Yesterday we decided on a paint treatment and a possible headboard substitute. I'll have pictures of course, throughout the transformation, but for now I'll describe what we're going to do.

The wall color now is an off-white, kind of a yellowy white. Bland. Dirty. Who knows when the walls were last painted. For several years I've been trying out color chips in taupes, soft greens, beiges, coffees, and wheats. Nothing has been "the one" until now. What we have decided on is a color called Ancestral(from Lowe's). It is a grown-up version of lavender. Very soft with a bit of gray in it. Mark likes it so that helps, and it goes well with our new quilt(and the old ones).

The treatment is something I'm not yet set on. I want to randomly place large elongated diamond shapes in varying sizes and sponge them in a coffee a lait glaze so the Ancestral color still shows through. In my mind's eye this is a beautiful thing but in real life it might be hideous. I'll definitely be doing a test board.

Years ago, when we moved from Longview to Nacogdoches, the house we moved into had ghastly walls in the master bedroom. One wall, the focal wall, was navy blue wall paper with tiny floral dots. The other 3 walls were a dark peach(think inside of a pumpkin). It was all tied together with a southerwestern style border. Just awful!! So, I painted the walls a rich cream color, replaced the wall paper with one that looked like leather, in a reddish pink, and sponged small stars all over the paper in antique gold. I thought it turned out really nice.

As for the bed, we can't afford to buy a new one so we could either use the old head and footboards, not use one(just have the bed on a hollywood frame), or make a wall treatment that acts as a headboard. We have opted for the latter and are on our way to the antique/junk store to search for inspiration.

I saw a beautiful bedroom in a magazine where they'd used two old window frames hung on the wall behind the bed. The glass panes had been replaced by fabric covered wood, each pane in a different pattern but all in the same colorway. It was nicely done. This is what I have in mind but it will depend on what we find our our treasure hunt, maybe we'll come home with an old door or a metal bedstand, who knows. But I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Chickenbells said...

It sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see the results...If you end up wanting to to the window pane thing you should check out salvage yards...I bought some amazing vintage window frames for signs for the shop at a yard sale for $3 a piece. I was also looking on Urban Outfitters today, and they had a really great looking painted headboard...they just painted it right up there on the wall...I loved the effect!!

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=8E3C931A56A4AFFF4CAC60DF47790D16.app12-node8?itemdescription=true&itemCount=60&id=13787734&parentid=A_FURN_WALL&sortProperties=+product.marketingPriority,-product.startDate&navCount=107&navAction=poppush&color=

Although, I think it would be easy to design your own...