Friday, January 4, 2008

Recipes!

Someone asked me to post a few of my recipes so here ya go!

Photobucket

Before I got sick I made this apple cake! It is based on my blueberry-lemon bundt cake but changes the berries for a cup of chopped apples and the lemon for nutmeg(tsp), cloves(tsp), and cinnamon(Tbsp). Next time I will up the sugar to 2 cups(1.5 was fine with the blueberries) and maybe up the apples to 2 cups, it wasn't sweet enough for me. I might even try some walnuts, we just wanted something sweet and I was out of cocoa so couldn't do chocolatey(though I found baking squares later) so I didn't try really hard to get it right. It is iced with a powdered sugar/milk icing, any suggestions for a better one are welcome!

Next time, I'm going to make a Norwegian Apple Cake, like this one from all buttoned up.

This weekend I'm making Zuppa Toscana from Divine Domesticity. Except I'm trying mine with collard greens left from New Year's since that's what I have. I'm sure it will be fine.

We talked about pizza and various pastas on a chat I participate in on Friday mornings. I know this one was discussed but can't remember if I was going to share another recipe or not, dang cold has me cotton headed! Someone from chat, remind me what it was, if any.

Pizza Pasta
serves 6-8

1 box whole wheat or blend pasta(either rotini or penne or similar)
1 each, onion and green pepper
1-2 cups sliced mushrooms(we like a lot)
1 pound ground lean turkey meat
2 cans tomato sauce(we use no-salt-added)
1 can(14oz-ish) diced tomatoes(again, no salt)
garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and fennel seeds to taste(about 1 teaspoon each or a bit more)
1 tsp honey
2 tsp olive oil
1 can sliced olives
20-30 slices of turkey pepperoni(the kind for pizza)
1-2 cups mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese(we like it cheesy)

Cook the pasta as per box. Brown the onion, pepper, mushrooms, and meat in the olive oil. Add the tomato products and spices, honey and olives. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to blend flavors.

Mix the meat sauce with the pasta. Stir in pepperoni and cheeses. Put in large baking dish(I use a pampered chef baking bowl), cover and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, remove cover, bake another 5 minutes. Serve with salad and bread if you want. We love this in bowls. Obviously this is a recipe that anyone can fiddle with. Leave out the mushrooms if you like, add in red onions, use bottled sauce... it is very user friendly.

***edited to add that tonight we used turkey breakfast sausage(bulk) instead of ground turkey and it was fabulous!!

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oooo! I think I'm going to try that Tuscana stuff. It looks delicious. I bet collards will be good in it. Hope you're feeling better, Molly.

Carol said...

Sounds delish! Hope you get better really fast!