Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Scat, scat, scat!

So, the whole time I'm driving back to the lake(yall knew I would), camera in hand, I'm thinking, "I sure hope this isn't human scat". You can see the second pile between Mark's knees if you click the first picture. I reckon that if a person is going to "scat in the woods", they're not going to do it in the middle of a trail(besides, there are bathrooms just 200 yards away or so). And, it probably wouldn't be black. Or this big. Or in two piles more than 20 feet from each other. Or contain berry seeds. So, my conclusion is that this is either bear scat or wild hog scat. We looked for other signs of either and did NOT find hog diggings or bear scratchings. Not any tracks either. (please click each picture to get a better view)



This picture has Mark in the same exact place, but taken from the front part of the trail to include the first scat.



The third picture shows Mark examining the first scat with the other scat in the background(the black dash almost in the exact middle of the photo).



This is across the creek from where the scat was. It looks like possible den sites to me. There is a tree(the tree is on the close side of the creek) almost in the center of the photo and two dark spots to either side(these are actually on the far side of the creek-you can make out the water going through the middle of the picture). They were about 100 yards from us.



The creek starts to the left and flows from the spillway/dam to the right after leaving a large pool(seen in first pic).




(its a good 60-100 feet straight down to the creekbed)




(this is to the right of where the scat was, about 10 yards down the creek)

The key ring is a Whiting and Davis ring, about 2.25 inches across. I placed it next to the first scat for scale.



Closer, you can see berries or acorns or some kind of bumpy food leftovers. It did have a faint "poo" odor when I first came upon it with Ryan, but the smell was gone when Mark and I were there.



The second scat was a different texture but still filled with berry seeds and possibly corn kernels. Again, my keys for scale, and then a close-up.





So, what do you all think? Bigfoot maybe?

5 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I think bear.

However - - - I'm also chuckling rather that you were able to make an entire post about poo poo and we are all reading it!!!

~Molly~ said...

haha, you don't know how many times I almost deleted it too! But, that many pictures are hard to upload and I didn't want to lose all that work!!

I've had someone else tell me they think it is dog poo but I'm not sure. There were no dog tracks on the sandy part of the trail but plenty of people tracks. A bear might not have a reason to go on the sandy trail but people walking a dog or even a loose dog probably would.

Chickenbells said...

Well...that was an interesting post. I can honestly say at this point, I wish I would have read that BEFORE I ate lunch...

good luck with your animal identification...

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I think YUKK!

Gadfly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.