Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm participating in...


over at Smiling Sally's.



(our tree should look like this again in a few weeks, I hope!)


(my mom gave these antique pretties to me last year for Christmas)


(Mark made this painted box for a Christmas present years ago. I'm not sure if this was for his mom or my mom)


(Amy drew this last year using paint)

In other news...

Around bedtime last night a blustery cold front blew in with a vengence! I've only heard the wind howling like that during a hurricane! Because of our recent room rearranging, our bed is now under the window and the tree is just feet away from us. Needless to say, it took a long time for me to get to sleep. We ended up losing several good-sized limbs and branches. One hit the house and rolled off, its about 15 feet long and as big around as my thigh! Surprisingly, none of the branches that were broken during Ike ended up on the ground. I think they are too tangled up to come loose, for now.

We've been so slammed around here that our staples are low. This almost never happens but our weekend was so hectic that we ran out of cat litter, potatoes, ice, and lunch meat! So, I have GOT to run to the grocery store. I'd much rather stay home and work on my crocheted bags though. They are coming along nicely and I hope to have several ready for Patricia to sell soon. Pictures are coming soon.

One thing we'll definitely do today is make Homesick Texan's Wacky Cake! I've heard of this cake before but I'm not sure I've ever tasted one. I hope its good! We'll doctor ours up with cayenne powder and maybe cinnamon so I'm sure it will be scarfed down.

My mom sent some Christmas ornament kits to the girls so if we have time and if they're in the mood, we may work on those a bit. One is needle-felted ornaments and one is styrafoam balls with sequins to stick on with pins.

8 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Beautiful Texas sky. Your son is talented and Amy is amazing, but come on--TEXAS Wacky Cake! Sheesh! My mom baked Wacky Cake when I was a kid decades and decades and more decades ago. lol Happy Blue Monday. Gee, after that bunch of teasing, you may never do this again!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Happy Blue Monday! I love those little blue figurines. So dainty.
Winds? Ugh, I'm sorry they were so frightening and you weren't able to sleep. I hope you're able to catch some zzz's today. Did the winds go away?

~Molly~ said...

Haha Sally, I probably *have* had Wacky Cake but didn't know what it was. My grandmother made a thing called Millionaire Pie with pineapples and walnuts or some such. That was my favorite dessert!!

The winds did finally die down this morning. Its a little breezy today and 51, tonight will be 35!!! Brrrr!

Chickenbells said...

Oh my...I hope the weather calms down soon, and you're able to go out for your supplies...all while making the bags (cause I KNOW you can multi task!! tee-hee)

Coloradolady said...

Happy blue monday. I will check out the recipe for the cake. Your site always has lots to share, I am going to click on follow this blog. I will be back

Anonymous said...

Nice Blue Monday post today and the little vintage figurines are so cute.
Nice job on the painted box with the quilt pattern. My favorite is the mermaid. Amy did a beautiful job, an artist in the making.

I understand your concern with the bad weather. Especially windy and rainy with big trees near by. it would keep me awake too. Hope al is well now.

Hugs...Jeanne

Sweetie said...

You have a nice array of blues. The painting by Amy is great. I hope that the wind dies down. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie

imjacobsmom said...

Cool blue Monday offerings! You have a talented family! That Wacky Cake sounds interesting. I bet Jacob would like to try it. ~ Robyn