Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Getting the Milk...

Our family is in a raw milk co-op. We enjoy the health benefits of drinking raw and it tastes wonderful! Every 6 weeks or so it is my turn to go get the milk from the farm and bring it to our leader's house for distribution. This week was my turn. I also scored a bag of nice organic yellow squash, 6/$1, woooohooo! That was lunch!


(Shady Grove is the community we get our milk from)


(the kids usually don't like to get up so early but I made them come along this time and they were blessed by a deer running along side us for about 100 yards or so)

On our way home, We stopped at the Hoover Cemetery not too far from the 1002 and 155 intersection. I've always been curious about the cemeteries in this area, it seems like an OLD place. This would make a cool field trip for our co-op or homeschool group.


(the back part of the cemetery)


(Elizabeth Gage, b. Feb 22, 1852, d. Mar 24, 1852)


(David Gage, b. Oct 20, 1860, d. Nov 8, 1860)


(Abraham Hoover owned the land on which the cemetery was started)


(Abrham's wife Nancy)


(I think this says Martha Hoover, could it be that this was the first person buried here- according to the website a daughter was the first buried)

In other news....

Mark is out of town on business. His company is aquiring the assets of another medical equipment company and he went to Nacogdoches with the owner to check out the facilities. I can't say much more except that he was validated yesterday when they were in negotiations. The representative from the other company asked the owner(of Mark's company) if everything looked ok, yada yada. The owner turned to Mark and asked HIM if it was "a go" and Mark said yes. Then the owner turned back to the representative and said, "yes". Anyway, they are growing the business and that's something Mark can be proud of because he has done 90% of it all by himself!! He has made many contacts and is very well-liked and respected by everyone he works with(including the 8 hospices they are contracted to serve-this time last year they had 1 hospice).

I'm working on finishing the binding on my Trip Around the World quilt, 2.5 sides to go! Then I need to decide if I'm going to make 8 blocks or 18 blocks to finish my Anvil(or Buckeye Beauty) vintage quilt. If I just do 8 I'll need multiple borders but if I do 18 I'll only need a small border. I'm leaning toward 18 but that is SOOO many! There are already 12 sewn together so having to make more than that is not appealing, but I do want it to fit my bed. Sigh. You can find pictures of both quilts in my sidebar under unfinished projects(or somesuch).

5 comments:

Chickenbells said...

I love old cemeteries! Don't you just wonder why those poor babies died so soon? How sad...

Congrats to the hubby as well...

Ohhhh...I thought of you today while I was at the thrift looking around...there was an ooooold quilt that had the most wonderfullest sailboat pattern in each square...and each square was "signed" by the person who did it (it was in awful shape, and had been cut up...but, I loved the idea and I'd never seen that pattern before!!)

Anet said...

I love to browse old cemeteries! It fascinating to read the names and dates! We have a huge one in my town that is really great with big old tombstones. I could spend hours walking there! That is the only place I have ever seen a blue bird. It was beautiful!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh my, just look at the GORGEOUS patches of lichen on Martha's headstone!!!!

Hoovers - - - - we have Hoover families here in Indiana too.

Keetha Broyles said...

I THINK his parents are Ed and Zelpha Hoover.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been reading yours for some time but I don't think I have ever left a comment. I enjoy reading what you have to say; I love looking at all your pictures. You inspire me!